Monday, November 20, 2006

sitting, thinking about driving - I mean really driving

I'm at northwestern and I'm just sitting around. I'm not sure why they want me to be here but both of my colleagues don't have much for me (or themselves) to do. That is, unless spending an hour looking at my horoscope is something to do.

At least I'm 'working;' is what I say.

I decided this past weekend to venture out of my apartment and my myself socially vulnerable again. Friday Xtina and I went to a party with friends (haven't done that in years) and Saturday I went to 'Kenny's Art Gallery Cabaret' with Becky.

Xtina is working more hours this week than either of us ever have and I have Thursday and Friday off. She'll get out of work at 2:30 on Thursday and we'll drive to Madison to have Thanksgiving lentil loaf with my sister. My mother likes to call it 'tofurkey.' She thinks it's the funniest word she's ever heard. I recall having a conversation last weekend regarding wheather Madison is 'the portland of the midwest' or 'the ann arbor west of the lake.'

I'm actually really excited to drive there. It doesn't occur often that I drive somewhere I've never been. I miss driving. In fact, I've been thinking lately about all the great times I've had driving in my past. Somehow with every defining moment in my life since age sixteen I have a very distinct driving association. Vacations, concerts, funerals, etc... I've done a lot of good thinking in my time behind the wheel. Chicago isn't good for driving. You rarely get over 25mph and the whole experience makes me more angry than anything. Frequently I want to drive out of the city until I can look around and see no one, just for the experience of being alone again. It seems everyone here has a love/hate relationship with the city. Everyone has their own "F*** this city" moment.

No comments: