Thursday, November 08, 2007

greatest weakness - Eczema

It's all over my right hand - all red and itchy, it burns when I put lotion on it. I'm never washing my hands again. It showed up after I rode into work on a cold wet day without gloves.

We had a good weekend last weekend despite the eczema, returning home for the weekend to celebrate our birthdays. Unfortunately, due to work, it will be the last time we return home before the new year. Retail sucks. The new GRAM is great - well, the building is great, they need to do something about their paltry art collection and the way their gallery space is set up only to make the viewer feel lost. While in town we did the usual of seeing nick and jason and eating at marie catribs at least once. Christina's goal of seeing Tim and Anjie's Nathaniel didn't pan out, but maybe it's best she isn't around babies.

Grand Rapids is looking cleaner and more vibrant each time we come. Perhaps the city is actually getting cleaner or perhaps we're getting used to how dirty chicago is. The city doesn't seem to be physically suffering the political problems described by its citizens. I suppose, though, turmoil and downturn is a process and not an event. Whenever I return I want to move back immediately but when I leave I'm not as ready to relocate. I do want to own a house more each time I return. And with home prices as they are in the city (and surprisingly not increasing much) that dream could come true.

Today - figure out what to do with the car as we were rear-ended by a cab last night. We're both okay and the car isn't damaged too much - some dents and bangs in the rear bumper. We went to the california street police station immediately where the officers were surprisingly helpful but the cab dispatcher was expectantly unhelpful and seemingly intoxicated. Now that it's light out, I'll give it a second look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry about last night--i hope the damage is covered. we should still try to get together sometime--give me a ring.

erin said...

i've heard the curating for the GRAM was especially bad, but that they did create some interesting public space. someday i'll get there.

i have no idea what the deal is this weekend other than we're coming down tonight, going to the museum tomorrow afternoon, and heading back here sunday. as more information becomes available, we'll letcha know.

metal said...

man i'm really bummed that my comment got lost in the ether. damn connection. anyway, the gist was that when i saw this post all i could think was "crack und ultra eczema" and i didn't know why. turns out it is a band name i saw on archive.org. they have a myspace, but no actual music on the live music archive.