Saturday, December 08, 2007

maps, maps, maps

Winter is here and with it our first gas bill in which our antique furnace was on in full. We are pleasantly surprised, especially considering the temperature at which we keep this place in comparison to our last cave of an apartment. The windows are sealed and we're ready for the first big storm of the season. We got a few inches last week which temporarily put an end to our bicycle commuting but it won't hold me back for long.

Last night I went to a christmas party thrown by a colleague of mine who was also fired yesterday. In a word, it was awkward. I was back home before midnight.

This week Xtina and i saw the new Noah Baumbach film, 'margot at the wedding.' We're both fans of his first film, 'the squid and the whale.' We found the movie entertaining, albeit a tad overwrought. It reminded me of 'little children' in the acting, subject matter and the two are also confounded by starring Nicole Kidman. I'm trying to get out and see 'I'm not there,' whose soundtrack is great with the exception of a few butchering tracks. I also have to see 'no country for old men' and now 'juno' as well as 'the savages.' We must be rounding the corner to oscar season because I haven't wanted to see so many movies at the same time for as long as I can remember.

To those of you who live in chicago: This week I saw the exhibit 'Maps: finding our place in the world' at the field museum. Simply put, it's really awesome. I spent over three hours in the one exhibit. From the Divinci map to Ptolemy's map of Rome, the Tolkien maps to the maps from the 'golden age of sea trade' in the Netherlands and the native american maps - I was fascinated. I must have been slackjawed the entire afternoon. I even used a map to get there! I'll probably go again. Also in the city: Lewis and Clarke: mapping the american west, a free exhibit at the newberry library. Perhaps I'll go back to school for cartography.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should take your maps to galloway bay on pine grove and diversey:
-$1.50 pbr
-scrabble
-shadow box full of knots

erin said...

I might have to hit you up for some of that bacon chocolate.

I've fallen a little bit off the vegetarian wagon. Not TOO bad, but I did indulge in some delicious dark meat turkey. And, uh, an egg roll that I'm convinced contained pork.

Meat tastes good. It still disgusts me, but it tastes goooood.

Go see I'm Not There. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

No Western Michigan Family Christmas this year?

p said...

dang the map exhibit sounds amazing. saw I'm Not THere last night which amazingly showed up at the Woodland celebration theater. huzzah

Anonymous said...

hell yeah maps! i thought cartography might be a good idea as well. after preliminary research i concluded it wasn't a major growth field or anything, but it would still be pretty sweet

erin said...

So you'll be here a Tuesday through Thursday? Weird though I guess you guys don't really do weekends so much anymore.

Well alrighty we should definitely do something though the 1st might be the best as I have to work the
2nd until 9pm.