Thursday, August 07, 2008

_____________vacation___



Just a few days ago it dawned on me that Xtina and I will be flying out to Portland and backpacking around Mt Hood this coming tuesday. I had to dig up the emailed flight confirmation just to be sure. Tuesday also, then, marks Xtina's last day with the food hole. Yikes! It's a good thing this trip will fall on a new credit card billing cycle.

Now I'm in pretty good shape these days in terms of my cardiovascular health, but I'm very unprepared for continuous high-elevation hiking. I've only worn my hiking boots a twice on very short neighborhood walks. Xtina is in the kitchen dehydrating stir-fry and I'm preparing a list of things to purchase last-minute from REI tomorrow. So far the list includes:

sanitary shovel (to dig a hole in which to shit)
bio-degradable toilet paper (to aid in shitting)
bear whistle?
ropes
pants
compass
plastic flask (to drink bourbon out of)

We'll be gone for almost two weeks, only four of those days will be spent in the woods, the rest of the time will be spent at a nice hotel near downtown portland. We may check out some schools; I'll definitely check out the biking scene. Updates will be sure to come.

4 comments:

metal said...

spend more time outside and keep your eyes open for wild hops. send them to me.

erin said...

i secretly think i belong in portland.

p said...

I want you to blow my bear whistle.

reynolds said...

leave the key in the usual hiding spot, i swear i won't leave any corpses this time!