Saturday, April 29, 2006

advice to the graduate

...sleep on your back, ash in your shoes, and always use the old sense of the word.

GVSU commencement went better than expected. Sure, it was long and monotonous, but the constant flow of departures during the ceremony gave me assumed permission to walk around so I didn't have to sit and listen to the butchering of 1,400 names. Instead, I read the paper - featuring the calvin spoof article. My thoughts go out to the calvin chimes staff as their spoof was pulled this year and members were fired due to leaking it on the interweb. www.calvinspoof.com Sure, it may look bad, but it's nothing that should cause calvin to do-away with the spring chimes tradition altogather. Xtina is working late tonight (3pm-2am). My main objective tonight is to meet with peter and erin and remain sober enough to pick her up at the end of her shift.

Tomorrow we're bagging the family thing entirely. Tonight is a late night and we haven't been able to see each other much all weekend. I've decided that in order for me to establish a higher degree of autonomy and weekly continuity it's time that we create a sunday morning ritual. What is married life without a sunday morning ritual? Perhaps I'll read the paper with my slippers on and sit on the futon drinking a french press of coffee. Too bad the NYT is five bucks on sunday. I know there's much more content, but there is something ingrained that won't allow me to shell out five bucks for a newspaper despite how many five buck beers I consume the night prior.

I've had the majority of the day to myself - the entirety of xtina's shift. It's odd being alone for so long. Not "alone" meaning the absence of my spouse, but alone. It's comforting, albeit a little boring as the only projects on my list are one's I'd rather not do. I'm calling the day a success, however, as I just got done washing dishes.

Zach - I'm sorry I missed your call, I think that number is yours anyway. Well, perhaps it's time I join my friends and take it really easy for the next four hours. Then again, perhaps I'll wait it out a bit longer.

...get in some licks, hold your head up, and soon you will be drinking from that crystal cup.

1 comment:

Krista said...

kevin, i received your message on saturday, thanks for thinking of me. the reason you reached my voice mail and not me was because my phone batt had died, man. so. i had no way to call you back because i had no record of your call on my phone, and i don't believe i have your number. thanks for the invite though, i totally would have joined the two of you! i'm glad to hear the commencement went well. my regards to the graduate.