Thursday, December 21, 2006

solitaire factory

Sometimes it seems I work in a solitaire factory. Everyone is busy - clicking mice - a phone ringing in the distance -productivity appears high, but all we do here is solitaire. Sure, 'real' work is being done at certain times of the day - but not all, or most. Because this is my only means of earning a living at the moment, I have to appear to be working all day (despite being given no tasks to complete) and volunteer to stay at the office longer than I'm expected. I'm not sure why they insist on me being here - they know that no work is being done - and because I'm a temp, I'm costing them an outrageous amount of money. Craigslist has almost nothing but scams this week. Idealist and npo are pretty dry as well.

Christmas at home went surprisingly well, albeit a little short-lived. It's over now and couldn't be farther from my mind


Update: Today is the last day of exams for most law students. Everyone is coming into the office WASTED. This is very different from my Calvin experience.

Further Update: I've discoverd something more annoying than being surrounded by drunk people while you're sitting stone sober: being sourrounded by loud, drunk, affluent law students while you're sitting at work counting down the minutes to five o'clock.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

the bel aire lounge will cure what ails ya. let's go this week sometime if you can.

reynolds said...

hola! i started my blog. i'm having difficulty with the counterintuitive visual presentation of posts, seeing as new posts appear at the top of the page, but the story begins with the first post. so as you're reading left to right, but then up instead of down. anyways.... fuck. let me know what you think.