Saturday, July 21, 2007

address changes, moving vans, 12 month aged manchego

Perhaps this has been the most unique week in my Chicago tenure. I started working at whole foods this week. I got to a point where I needed to get out of the house and start earning a living and whole foods was definitely the best option considering the circumstances. My new job seems to be going well - I work with some great people and I'm learning more about the worlds' fine cheeses than I thought was possible. I'm not too keen on the 4:30am wake up calls, my lack of nights, mornings and weekends, embarrassing ill-fitting uniforms and snooty rich folks who got the jobs that I didn't, but at least I'm a member of the workforce and I've got a bit of cash on hand.

This week I saw The Decemberists in a free show with the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra. I was a bit disappointed by the show - the marriage of indie rock and orchestra didn't seem to mesh as was intended. The Tribune agreed. The turnout was incredible - 15,000 people (who were able to get in the door). I was fortunate to have a wife who was willing to kill her afternoon sitting in line so we could sit in the 25th row. We rode our bikes home in the pouring rain and Xtina's harry potter book got ruined (no, not the new one). I made fun of her for reading harry potter. The following evening we saw the free taping of "wait wait don't tell me," also in the Pritzker Pavilion in Millenium Park. The show was good but the panelists where somewhat mediocre. We thought the show would have done well to include our favorite panelist - Paula Poundstone or perhaps Mo Rocca.

We stop by our new apartment today and pay the first month's rent. We move this coming Tuesday. We are so far from being ready; I think we're both so busy we're a little in denial about it's impending stress.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

good luck with the move--let me know if you need help with anything--i'm free thurs/fri. i'm so glad to hear the job is going well.

this one goes out to my grandma...