Thursday, July 26, 2007

the new place

We're in the new apartment now. The move, exhausting and tedious, went fine. Boxes are still littering the kitchen and the smell with which we were greeted is now beginning to fade. I can't believe the amount of space - and light! I think we'll enjoy being here; solving a few minor plumbing problems will help. It's so quiet. Logan Square is a wonderful, safe neighborhood, though lacking the dining and entertainment options we grew accustomed to in bucktown.

I leave for work in a couple hours and I'm trying to find constructive ways to spend my time as Xtina is working the morning shift today. Working at Whole Foods is going well - I'm surprised how much I like it. I work with some great people and I'm learning interesting things about fine cheese. My parents think I should stay here as a career position but I can't say I'm terribly satisfied with working in a grocery store, giving up my nights and weekends and serving customers. I must say I've been somewhat offended at my parents comments; sure, they just want me to be content and I know I have difficulty in that department, but I'd like to believe that my own parents would think I'm destined for better things than the service sector. Now I have to find my way out. I've stopped applying for outside jobs for the moment. The people are so great I couldn't up and leave weeks after starting, but I'm afraid the longer I wait the less chance I have of getting a job outside the service sector. The graduate school search is at a standstill - I don't know what to study and I don't have the guts to pick something and go.

But for the moment, I'm fine. I'm making money, eating and sleeping well. We got our couch yesterday, ending a two year search for such an item.

Discovery I'm most excited about: wifi signal! It's low and slow, but works.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

you two finally purchasing a couch gives me the opportunity to use the word "flabbergasted."

rebecca said...

loved your place--the trip home was pretty quick too. how did christina like what she found in the blue bag?