Friday, March 31, 2006

when your time is through...your myspace profile will live on

I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday paging through mydeathspace.com. The site essentially posts an obituary for you, should you die, along with a link to your myspace profile. The very thought of me being remembered, or anyone being remembered for that matter, in terms of their myspace is a little unsettling. Sometimes the site is outright creepy. The posts in which the myspace user commits suicide are especially disturbing - anyone can see, by profile, just how suicidal they were in retrospect. Sometimes the myspace picture profiled is of a user consuming large amounts of alcohol - posted beneath their alcohol poisoning obituary. Observation: many teens die in vehicles.

It is interesting how online postings stay indefinitely, they do not deteriate, they don't fade, it isn't a smell that diminishes from your clothes. If I were to die suddenly, please don't remember me by my myspace profile, please. I would rather be remembered by my lastfm profile.

I've also been into postsecret.blogspot.com as of late.

With that out of the way, I must say the Silver Jews show last weekend was amazing. If you'd like to read more about it, check out Peter's blog. Some of my favorite songs came from an album I just recently acquired: natural bridge. Examples: Dallas, Pet Politics, Black and Brown Blues. The crowd hinged on David's every shakey, inebriated word. We all waited in unnerving anticipation for specific lines in songs: "if you don't want me, I'll promise not to linger, but before I go I have to ask you dear about that tanline on your ring finger." Ann Arbor was great, I could see myself happy there for a while. The city is a little small, but bustling, communal, and pedestrian-friendly. Now, how do I get there? Still spending much mental energy thinking about grad school but actually doing/researching very little.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see David Berman in action so bad! but I had Jason Forrest at the UICA that night, which was very underwhelming.

I heard the drummer of Pavement accompanied them for that show.

kevdek said...

It's true, Bob Nostanovich and Steve West were there backing him up. The show had been sold out for about a month. It was so good - it reaffirmed my belief in the act of live music.

p said...

I know the truth about you.

Anonymous said...

Since when is Ann Arbor small??

p said...

postmysecret kind of makes me feel like I'm hanging out with a bunch of whiny emo kids