Monday, July 31, 2006

vacation, one and two

I’m back at work for the first time in eleven days. For those of you out of my ‘loop,’ the wife and I were in Vermont for the first week, having a truly lovely vacation. We stayed in a nice condo in the green mountains near Killington, forgetting all of our problems back at home. Her entire family was there for her grand parents anniversary. I never thought I’d be able to have so much fun with family. We hiked, talked, drank some great beer, (thanks to the Magic Hat brewery line of beers including ‘hocus pocus ale’) and tried to explain why we don’t eat meat and what, then, we do eat (which is a tiresome conversation when engaged in to those who don’t know any vegetarians). And while we were there for a full week, we still didn’t feel as though we saw everything we wanted to. We’re sorry we didn’t make it to Burlington.

We arrived home on Thursday night and spent Friday doing laundry and cleaning the apartment prior to leaving for the hottest (temperature-wise) music festival ever. While fun, the pitchfork festival was a bit disappointing. The Walkmen were good, as were the Silver Jews (although not as good as in ann arbor last winter), Destroyer and Jens Lekman. Devendra Banhart was a huge disappointment as was almost the entirety of Sunday afternoon, due largely to the heat. We weren’t able to stay for Os Mutantes, which may have redeemed my attitude. Now I’m sure there are plenty of raving reviews of the entire festival out on the blogosphere today, but just remember – I may not be as ‘hip’ as they are. If you see any photos of the festival, I am the patron not wearing an old novelty t-shirt or a short-sleeved western shirt.

The apartment is arranged, the moving truck has been ordered, and with two weeks remaining in the winter water wonderland, I’m getting nervous. But don’t tell my wife. Honestly, while I’ll miss those of you reading this from the g-rap, I’m getting more excited about the move. I’ll be even more excited if you find me a job.

kevdek

5 comments:

rebecca said...

sorry we couldn't get together this weekend--we had a great time in holland though...i'm so excited for your move!

Anonymous said...

Why was Devendra so disappointing? I've never seen him before, so I have nothing with which to compare, but I enjoyed his (albeit a bit short) set. He was one of my favorite acts of the weekend, although I didn't see his later performance with Os Mutantes. I think my roaming-through-the-park-and-listen-like-the-radio-is-on approach to Os Mutantes was best.

kevdek said...

I say that Devendra was disappointing for a few reasons.

a) brevity of set

b) set list (the only good songs he played were the last two - long haired child and just like a child).

c) general performance. Look at some performances of songs on youtube. He's screaming and dancing and acting like you'd expect him to act - his performance on sunday was nothing like I was expecting. Instead of high-energy freak folk, we got slowed down southern rock.


I think your 'walk around like the radio is on' is a good idea. I did that the majority of sunday. When visually seeing a band means being trapped in the heat with thousands of sweaty people, walking around was a more enjoyable alternative at times.

p said...

i've got some high energy freak-folk for you right here kevin

rebecca said...

one week! holy shit, don't have a heart attack, i know you want to.