Friday, February 10, 2006

glowing box = my childhood memories

I brought home "the adventures of pete and pete: the complete first season" from my local library. What does it mean when it's a television program that gives me the most satisfying feeling of childhood nostalgia I've been able to feel? Is that bad? When I was growing up, it occurs to me now, that it wasn't out of the ordinary for me to watch television for eight hours in a day. Growing up in the suburbs, there wasn't much else to do. Think of what I could have become if I spent that time reading or doing science experiments or playing an instrument? Aside from how sad it is that my most vibrant childhood memory comes in the form of me laying across a green armchair watching my family's silver quasar television, Pete and Pete is the greatest childrens television program ever. Much of the music comes from the band "the magnetic fields" and the show features cameos from the likes of Michael Stipe and Steve Buschemi. And, lets face it, I'm a sucker for narrative-style programs. The season was initially aired in 1993 making me about ten years old at it's time of air. They certainly don't make childrens television like that anymore. Perhaps Gen-Xers are just more creative and thoughful than those that make television programs now.

On another note, I just picked up the new Belle & Sebastian album, "the life pursuit." It's fantastic, their best album since "the boy with the arab strap." You should check it out, it's defintely worth buying if you have the cash at hand.

I don't have any plans tonight. Xtina and I might go to bombay cuisine or brandywine. Has anyone been to that new mexican restaurant in eastown? you know, the one on Carlton. So if any of you are doing something interesting, give me a call. Perhaps you would like to share your favorite memory of Pete and Pete.

4 comments:

zach said...

you obviously aren't talking about the mexican restaurant on wealthy down from billy's. right? that's a good restaurant. time and innovation will only seperate me from grand rapids:( i think i'm coming in may for graduation, though. i think i may be getting married soon, as well. so i can have a cool life like yours.

Anonymous said...

The best scene in pete and pete, is when the father takes his metal detector out to the beach to see if he can find anything in the sand. He gets a hit and after much digging finds a station wagon burried in the sand with the keys still in it. They hop in and drive away. Classic

p said...

glowing box

erin said...

lord, gmail gets chat and all of a sudden productivity takes an even further dive. not a slight, my friend, i was chattin' it up with a friend from MN who's coming into town soon. i need your email address, actually...

and i respectfully disagree with the "hello starling" vs "golden age of radio." i am a fan of the starling. different, but still good...more rounded, methinks.

email me so i can inappropriately start chatting with you while you're at work